I contribute to Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) projects with the goal of being part of a community, honing my engineering and communication skills, learning new ones, and teaching whenever I can.
- Update (2021/02/08): My first Elixir package went live!
- Update (2020/06/24): I’m working for a new company and I’ve started to talk about the possibility of contributing to FOSS.
- Update (2019/06/30): I’m spending roughly 20% of my working time to work on FOSS. My main focus is on Superset.
- Update (2018/08/11): I don’t invest much time on contributing, but I’m trying to do it while working for my employer. More soon (hopefully).
Approved & merged:
I have contributed by creating some problems for the Racket track in exercism:
- Implement ETL: ETL consists basically of a hash table inversion: given a table “score -> list of letters”, build a table “letter -> score”.
Add the accumulate problem: Accumulate is another way of calling what the
foldlfunction does in Racket (also called reduce in functional programming): Obtain a scalar value out of a list by applying a function to each element and updating (accumulating) the result at each step. Note (2020-06-24): For some reason it appears that this implements map instead, but I don’t remember why it was called accumulate…
RethinkDB is a NoSQL database engine written in C++. I wanted to get my feet wet contributing to a big C++ project, but lost my interest after the first contribution.
- Update (2017-12-10): The project has been revived
Update (2017-02-01): The project has been shut down.
- Fix #3040: From the release notes of 1.16.0 (Stand By Me): “Adjusted the formatting of log levels, no longer print info: lines to stderr and added a notice log level”
For a brief period (circa one year, in 2013) I have contributed to the Debian operating system by maintaining a very small package, cil.
Cil is a text-based issue tracker written in Perl.